Trial starts for man accused of killing a baby
May 22, 2018 01:46 PM
ALBANY – A jury of 14 – seven men and seven women – heard opening arguments and testimony in the murder and manslaughter trial facing David Bridges. The Troy man is accused of killing Luka Patrick on February 6, 2017.
Bridges, 23, rejected a plea deal last year. Instead, he wanted a trial. Authorities say the baby lived a miserable existence, most of the time in a pack-and-play, in a small, studio apartment on South Allen Street.
Luka's mother, Rebecca Patrick, struck a plea bargain with the Albany County District Attorney's office for two misdemeanor counts of endangering the welfare of a child. She is expected to testify against Bridges.
Two witnesses testified Tuesday morning that on Feb. 6, 2017, they saw the baby. They described him as pale, limp and bruised. They couldn't tell if while being held by Bridges, the child was moving, but he was just staring, not tracking anyone else in the room. They say they encouraged Bridges to take the baby to the hospital, but Bridges insisted everything was fine.
In opening statements, ADA Shannon Sarfoh, the Special Victims Unit Bureau Chief, said to the jury, "I ask that you just listen, maintain your common sense…at the conclusion, you will find the defendant guilty."
Bridges' attorney, Francisco Calderon, told the jury not to rush to judgment and blamed Rebecca for most of the bruises, adding his client, "is a terrible parent, but he did not kill Luka."
Updated: May 22, 2018 01:46 PM
Created: May 22, 2018 06:24 AM
Copyright 2018 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved