Victim in Schenectady shooting had order of protection

July 11, 2018 11:17 PM

DeShawn Howard, the man accused of shooting three people in Schenectady on Tuesday, had an order of protection filed against him.

Schenectady Police confirm the woman shot at 1373 Union Street had a no contact order filed against Howard after officers were called to the same home back on April 11.


Police have not released the identities of the victims, but said they are in stable condition. Howard was found with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the Hamilton Hill neighborhood. He is still alive and is in custody at Albany Medical Center.

On Wednesday neighbors on Union Street said they know these things can happen anywhere, but they never expected it on their block.

"We just watched what was going on all day long,” neighbor Lynn Derenzo said.

"It was just crazy I didn't know what was going on and I was getting phone calls and messages,” neighbor Robert Myers said.

Schenectady Police found three people, an adult woman, a 14-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy shot at 1373 Union Street on Tuesday afternoon.

They closed a number of surrounding streets for several hours while they looked for Howard.

The landlord who owns 1373 Union was at the house on Wednesday changing the locks after police had to break their way in while looking for Howard on Tuesday. Howard was found around 3 p.m. on Summit Avenue with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The three victims are still in the hospital in guarded condition. Howard is in custody at AMC, he has not yet been charged.

On Tuesday Schenectady Police Chief Eric Clifford said this type of violence is difficult to prevent.

"This incident happened behind closed doors, this is very hard for us to police,” Clifford said. “Through education this is where we hope to make a difference."

But less than two months prior Howard was charged with Assault, Endangering the Welfare of a Child and Obstructing an Investigation after police were called to the same home on Union Street on April 11.

Neighbors said they never expected this to happen on their street, but they call it a sign of the times.

"There's stuff going on everywhere I mean it just kind of puts you on more alert,” Myers said.

"You just gotta live life every day and just hope for the best,” Derenzo said. “Stay out of harm’s way but you just never know where it's coming from."

Police couldn't say when Howard will be released from the hospital and charged.

NewsChannel 13 is looking to get more information about the incident in April from court documents and his arrest record. Stay tuned for updates both on air and online.


Emily Burkhard

Copyright 2018 WNYT-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Relay Media Amp
Names released in deadly Schaghticoke crash

Democrats argue Trump's blocking of probe rates removal, too

Chicago woman is 2nd US patient with new virus from China

Flu shuts down Niskayuna elementary school

Police: 2 dead after warehouse explosion shakes Houston