Updated: August 13, 2020 05:42 AM
Created: August 12, 2020 04:00 PM
GILBOA -- A fire ripped through the kitchen and dining building at the Oorah Girls Zone Camp in Gilboa Wednesday.
Frank McMahon captured the scary moments on camera around 1:30 p.m.
“It was very thick. It didn’t quite make it here to the road. It went above us, but otherwise, at times you couldn’t see the building,” McMahon said.
Volunteers at the scene said more than a dozen vans carrying campers were seen evacuating the area. Several animals including a camel, alpacas, and chickens were also taken to safety.
NewsChannel 13 was there as tankers, filled with up with water from a pond on the camp’s property, drove down the hill to keep the smoldering building under control.
Fire crews from multiple agencies responded to the blaze.
Witnesses said county officials have fined the camp for not following coronavirus rules and regulations.
There is no word yet on what started the blaze.
To see the blaze, click on Jacquie Slater's report.
Copyright 2020 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company