Albany Boys and Girls Club damaged by fire
The fire began around 4am outside the Albany Clubhouse of the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Capital Area on Delaware Avenue.
Officials think a homeless person may have started the fire near the dumpsters.
There is concern that some are abusing the group’s community outreach, like the free food fridge. People have tried to house themselves in the garbage area.
“Apparently somebody lit the garbage cans on fire and the fire rose up the building into our rear locker room and kitchen areas,” said Program Manager David Gordon.
The bathroom on the other side of the wall was heavily damaged. The window glass is gone. The smell of smoke lingers.
About 300 children and teenagers come here for afterschool and other programs.
“We do everything from supplying hot meals to providing child care to families that really need it to teens to give them a safe space to be off the streets during those prime at-risk hours,” said Gordon. “We’re here for them.”
Programs are suspended for about a week for cleanup.
Crews were able to contain the damage.
“They were here, acted really fast, and our community had called it in, being able to help protect our building and I just wanted to say thank you to everybody who helped make sure the building is still here and that we can operate,” said Chief Operating Officer Jimmy Bulmer.
Donations can be made through the website: https://bgcalbany.app.neoncrm.com/forms/donate-now