Updated: October 01, 2020 11:59 AM
Created: September 26, 2020 11:46 PM
TROY - Many people are looking for new ways to celebrate Halloween safely this year. One local venue, known for offering the best haunted houses around, is still open for business.
"I was amazed because I didn't think they would be able to open this," 11-year-old Jacob LaPlante said. “I thought COVID would've canceled this easily."
LaPlante is thrilled to be back at the Field of Horrors in Troy.
He and his friend Tate Green have been coming for the last three years.
"I usually like the hayride," 11-year-old Green said.
Unfortunately, hayrides are the one attraction not being offered this year because of pandemic restrictions.
Field of Horrors co-owner Stacey Mulinio said they considered making the attractions drive-thrus, but ultimately decided against it.
"We did not want to be liable for any damage that could occur to the vehicles driving through and also we trust our tractor drivers with our actors and sometimes putting the safety of our actors the hands of the public behind the wheel, it's just questionable," Mulinio said.
Mulinio said they've reduced the number of actors from 120 to 50. Actors are wearing double masks, and guests must wear them at all times.
Though Dr. Morbid's Haunted House may look familiar, it's new to Field of Horrors this year. The former owners in Lake George sold the Mulinio's most of the contents earlier this year.
Even though they're still in sneak peaks, Mulinio said on opening night alone, they already out sold every other opening weekend in the seven years they've been operating.
"They are just so happy to be out and about getting their Halloween thrills and being around the people they love doing what they enjoy the most this season," Mulinio said.
If you'd like more information about tickets and hours at the Field of Horrors, visit their website here.
Copyright 2020 - WNYT-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company