Heat, hot water non-existent for days at Schuylerville apartment complex
SCHUYLERVILLE – In this dangerous cold, people in a small apartment complex in Schuylerville said Friday they were going on day 10 without heat or hot water.
After NewsChannel 13 sounded the alarm on this, some major work is now being done to fix it, with a crew working on the furnace trying to repair it.
The Red Cross was also handing out hot coffee, food, blankets and smoke alarms Friday morning.
In the meantime, we’re told the nearly 20 people who live there were given small space heaters by apartment management.
This is all happening while we head into a second consecutive weekend with below freezing temperatures.
Part of the response to help them came after NewsChannel 13 made calls.
The residents, as well as family members of people who live at 19 Broadway, say they made many attempts to contact local leaders for help.
Schuylerville Mayor Dan Carpenter says he first found out about this on Wednesday, after a resident was able to get in touch with his office. It’s been boots on the ground since then.
NewsChannel 13 was made aware of this situation Thursday afternoon.
That’s when we contacted Saratoga County, and they went through the necessary chain of command to coordinate a response, including the Red Cross.
A family member of one of the residents says these people were told they would be thrown out if they spoke up about the current issue.
Hear about some of the trouble leaders had in tracking down the building’s owners, by watching the video of Tessa Bentulan’s story.