New York state releases guidance for alcohol-to-go

Are you ready to buy your first to-go drink? NewsChannel 13 is learning more about what exactly makes your order qualify.

[anvplayer video=”5101858″ station=”998132″]

According to the new budget, wine and/or liquor must be accompanied by a "substantial food item".

So what does that mean?

According to guidance issued Monday by the State Liquor Authority – sandwiches, soups, salads, wings, or hot dogs qualify.

However, a bag of chips, a bowl of nuts, or candy – do not.

Trying to buy an unreasonably small bowl of soup, or a handful of lettuce? The SLA says that’s a violation.

The guidance also says wine and or liquor means the alcohol the retailer buys from a wholesaler in a bottle, box, can or container. Transferring the alcohol to another bottle will be treated as a violation.

MORE: Alcohol to-go guidance from New York State Liquor Authority