Poll: Hochul has wide lead in potential primary race
A new Siena Research Institute poll looks at the Democratic primary for governor in 2022. In a potential five-way primary, the poll finds Gov. Hochul leading with 31%, followed by former Gov. Cuomo with 17%.
- 31% — Gov. Kathy Hochul
- 17% — former Gov. Andrew Cuomo
- 14% — State Attorney General Letitia James
- 7% — New York City Public Advocate Jumaane Williams
- 6% — New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio
The primary will be next June.
When it came to Hohul’s job performance, 43% of respondents rated her as excellent or good. Unsurprisingly, she scores better with Democrats, at 59%. Only 25% of Republicans like the job she’s doing and just 30% of independent voters approve of her performance.
The poll also looked at what issues that are very important to New Yorkers:
- 82% — Reducing crime in communities across the state
- 61% — Addressing systemic racism
- 58% — Ensuring more New Yorkers get the COVID-19 vaccine
- 48% — Making sure landlords are reimbursed for lost rent due to eviction moratorium
- 28% — Putting in place the system to begin retail sale of recreational cannabis in NY
Click here to read the entire poll.