Fire quickly extinguished at Schenectady County Jail

A fire broke out at the Schenectady County Jail on Wednesday evening.

It happened just before 5 p.m. in the dryer and dryer vent of the laundry room.

Everyone incarcerated in the affected area was immediately evacuated and moved to alternative housing within the jail, according to the sheriff’s office.

The Schenectady Fire Department put out the fire.

The affected area sustained minor smoke and water damage.

No one was hurt. 

An investigation is underway.