Five people in Brunswick hospitalized following carbon monoxide incident

[anvplayer video=”5189153″ station=”998132″]

The Walmart in Brunswick is now back open, after a carbon monoxide alarm went off at the store early Friday morning.

Several employees and contractors, working on renovations inside the store, were taken to the hospital for treatment.

The Brunswick Fire Department responded to the Walmart in Brunswick at around 3 a.m.

30 people were inside at the time. All of them were evacuated and evaluated by emergency responders on the scene, according to Fire Chief Steve Willson.

At least five of them were taken to the hospital for further evaluation and treatment.

It took less than two hours for the fire department to vent the building and allow employees back inside the facility.

The department was called to the Walmart for the same situation a month ago, according to Chief Willson.

“What they’re doing is renovating the store at this time.” said Fire Chief Wilson. “They’re using machinery without proper ventilation. Therefore, that’s where the carbon monoxide came from.”

While responding to this incident, the fire department also found a natural gas leak outside the building.

The gas was shut off to the store and National Grid will be return to the scene Saturday morning continue repairs, according to Chief Willson.

Robert Arrieta, the Communications Manager for Walmart sent News Channel 13 a statement following the incideint.

Arrieta says “We take the safety of our associates, customers and any third-party workers very seriously and are grateful for the prompt response by emergency services. Our store is open and ready to serve our community.”