Guilderland family who lost home in fire gets served Thanksgiving meal

Guilderland family treated to Thanksgiving feast

Guilderland family treated to Thanksgiving feast

The Guilderland family who lost almost everything in a house fire earlier this month were treated to a Thanksgiving feast, courtesy of a retired Albany County lawmaker.

A fire displaced Nora Stafford and her husband David from their East Lydius Street home.  

Nora was asleep but woke up to flames. She was trapped on the second floor. Her husband David and her son were outside the home unable to get in. They got a ladder and rescued Nora, but they were unable to save their 8-month-old Doberman.

The Vietnam-era vet was able to retrieve some of his military memorabilia, but they lost most of their possessions.

Retired Albany County Legislature Mary Lou Connelly saw the story and reached out to NewsChannel 13 to put her in touch with the family. She contacted the owner of the Holiday Inn in Latham and got others to help.

“I’d like to cook Thanksgiving dinner for these folks because they lost everything and God has been so good to me,” she said,

The Staffords are grateful for the support.

“Everybody has come together so much,” said Nora Stafford.