Latham Dick’s Sporting Goods store fire started during construction work

We’re learning new information about a fire that happened at the Dick’s Sporting Goods store in Latham Thursday.

The town of Colonie fire protection specialist tells us they responded to the fire around 2:30 Thursday.
He tells us the building has been closed for the past couple of months while it undergoes restorations.
He says the fire was started by a contractor cutting a metal structure on the roof who failed to take proper safety precautions and the roof caught fire.