Huge fire consumes Colonie construction warehouse
[anvplayer video=”5158600″ station=”998132″]
Multiple fire departments spent much of Friday at a fire on Kings Road in Colonie.
The building is part of BBL Construction.
The biggest difficulty was getting water to the fire. A special water supply had to be set up, said Fuller Road Fire Chief Michael Romano Jr. The roads had to be blocked off, so people didn’t run over the supply lines and rupture the hose.
“It just took a long time to set up, just based on our geographical location,” said Romano.
There were also many challenges, due to chemicals inside the building.
“We started having multiple explosions – come to find out there’s multiple flammable liquids in there. There’s acetylene and propane and gasoline, diesel fuel. It’s a repair shop, so what we’re being told is that obviously with all the flammable liquids, we had to start using caution,” said Romano.
There were still pockets of fire early in the evening, but Romano told NewsChannel 13 at that time he expected the fire to be under control shortly.
The building is a total loss. No one was hurt.