New charge for Cohoes fugitive in connection with infant death

New charge for fugitive in connection with infant’s death

One of the two Cohoes fugitives recently found and arrested in Mexico City is facing a new charge of hindering prosecution. The men are facing charges in connection with the death of an infant in Cohoes.

Six-week-old Baby Eli died in 2019. The infant had injuries to his ribs and head, and toxic levels of methamphetamine that killed him, according to prosecutors.

His guardian, Anthony Ojeda, was charged with his murder. Ojeda and husband Neil Garzon skipped town in 2021.

New paperwork out of Cohoes about a hindering prosecution charge for Garzon details how he allegedly rented a black Nissan Sentra with Indiana plates with a prepaid Visa card to help Ojeda leave town.

The car was shown by a license plate reader to be in Missouri days later.

Ojeda was one of the U.S. Marshals most wanted fugitives in the country.

The couple was on the run for more than two years before being arrested in Mexico City last week.

Five years ago, when no one came to claim Baby Eli’s body, Dufresne and Cavanaugh Funeral Home in Latham donated services for him.

“This was a hard one for all of us: the coroner, the sheriff’s department, clergy, everyone involved,” said Vincent Perniciaro of Dufresne & Cavanaugh. “This was obviously different, and we wanted to make sure we did the right thing, so it brings us comfort knowing that there is justice now and that justice has been served.”

The lead investigator in the case, Cohoes Detective Sergeant Michael Greene, carried Eli’s prayer card every day.

At the funeral home, they kept clippings about the case.

The Albany County sheriff helped with the infant’s services.

“When you have to look over your shoulder every day to see if someone’s looking at you, sooner or later you make a misstep, and apparently he made it, and they got him,” said Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple. “So I’m glad they got him, and I’m glad Baby Eli will get some justice in this world.”

Ojeda is still in Mexico, pending formal extradition proceedings. Garzon is already back on US soil, although not yet back in Albany County to face the charges against him.