Tips to help avoid carbon monoxide leaks in your home

[anvplayer video=”5156804″ station=”998132″]

As you heat your homes this winter, it’s important to make sure you’re taking the right precautions to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Roughly 50,000 people in the United States go to the emergency department each year for it, says the CDC.

So what can someone do to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

First and foremost, it’s important to make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

Things like your furnace and water heater should be serviced annually.

Don’t forget to also clear out debris from vents and flues.

Finally, if you plan to heat your car in the garage, the garage door needs to be open.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea and vomiting.

If you suspect you are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, you should go to the hospital to get checked out. You can also have your local fire department come out to see if there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home.