All evacuated residents return to Harbour Point Gardens Apartments in Troy
[anvplayer video=”5193162″ station=”998132″]
Everyone evacuated from Harbour Point Gardens Apartments in Troy is now back home, management said Thursday evening.
Families from 58 units were evacuated back in June over structural concerns.
There were worries about rain running off the rooftops, seeping in behind the bricks, and separating the brick facades from the building structure. In turn, that raised fears residents could be hit by falling bricks, including small children.
Tenants quickly became frustrated as work on the building lasted weeks and then months longer than expected, causing some tenants to scramble for a long-term place to stay.
The city of Troy even issued a stop work order at one point, after the property owner failed to secure a required building permit. The city also said they weren’t given a remediation plan.
The first residents were finally let back into their apartments in early July, with other residents gradually being let back in.
However, residents said earlier this month they were slapped with an unexpected rent increase. They wanted to know why they’re expected to pay more after all the trouble they had.
Current management company Lexington Property Group told NewsChannel 13 they’ve only had the building for eight months, and are not to blame for the ongoing building issues.
They’ve been in court trying to get everything straightened out, said a spokesperson.